Monday, July 6, 2015

Owen Keith Campbell

I have never been very good at the whole blog thing. I always have great intentions of doing one and keeping it up to date but as you can see, I haven't written a post since 1 week after our wedding day and our 3 year anniversary was just last week.

Since that blog post LOTS has changed for these Campbell's, one major thing in particular. We are officially a party of 3 and I can't think of a better reason to try and keep up to date with our blog. I don't want to forget any details of the day we welcomed Owen into the world, so to kick it all off, here is Owen Keith's birth story.

Owen came into the world with quite a bang. From the two weeks of bed-rest to all the way to a week after his arrival, we have not been short of any drama around here. If you are up for the story, buckle up because it's a long one!

Towards the end of my pregnancy, my swelling started to get worst and my blood pressure started to rise. On May 5th, at my 33 week appointment, the doctor admitted me for the first time, this time only for a couple hours, to monitor my blood pressure, urine, and Owen's heart rate a little more closely. That is where it all began. My doctor let me go home that night but not without understanding that the possibility of bed-rest was getting close. I began doing 24 hour urine collections, daily blood pressure checks and closely monitoring my swelling. Preeclampsia was coming, we just didn't know when. Then on May 19th, after getting my most recent 24 hour urine specimen back, (which had gone to 500 when it only takes 300 to be diagnosed) I was officially diagnosed with preeclampsia and was sent straight to labor and delivery. This was admittance #2.

I remained at Boone Hospital on bedrest for a full week when my doctor gave me my get out of jail free card and I was sent home. With an induction date of June 1st and the strict instructions of remaining on bedrest. At the time, I hated being on bedrest. I was able to work remotely which helped tremendously, but I was horribly bored. Looking back on it now, I am actually thankful for it. It kept my baby boy safe for an additional week, I had wonderful friends and family who came to keep me company and I made some new life long friends.

Being able to go home for a week was exactly what I needed. I felt like I was able to get a few things wrapped up for Owen, repack our bags and enjoy some time together outside  of the hospital. Our last days as a family of 2.

June 1st- We were set to check in to labor and delivery (for the 3rd time) at 7:30PM to begin our induction. Making sure to get my last meal in before a looong 30 hours of no food, we stopped by Olive Garden. This momma wanted pasta! While there, I received the greatest surprise, my sister in law had flown in from TX to be there with me. Now, I love my mom and of course I needed my husband to be there for his love and support but I had been dreading my sister in law not being able to be there for Owen's arrival since the moment I found out I was pregnant. You can imagine the amount of tears that came once my mind registered that it was really her! We then headed to Boone Hospital.

After meeting up with our birth photographer to go over a few details, we headed up to labor and delivery to be checked in. We were shown to our room, met our nurse and so it began. I was a nervous wreck but in an effort to keep my blood pressure down, tried to remain calm. The first part of our induction required using a pill called cytotech that had to be inserted starting at 9PM and then again every 3 hours. I will not name any names but I will be so thankful if I never have to see my nurse from that night again. Imagine very short & stubby hands.

When the 3AM pill time came around, my nurse came in and informed me that due to the baby's heart rate dropping, she was not comfortable continuing and would be starting me on a bag of fluid instead. We would need to wait until my dr arrived and see what course of action would be the best. 5AM rolls around, my dr calls and gets caught up to speed on everything going on. Since I had been having contractions every minute all night it was thought that Owen wasn't getting time between each contraction to "recooperate" before the next one began. They began giving me a medication through my IV that would attempt to slow down my contractions but would also make my heart rate go through the roof. I was just going to have to attempt to remain calm and let the drugs work. At this point..epidural, please?

Once my dr arrived around 7AM, together with her, Colin and I decided that since Owen wasn't handling these very early stages of labor very well and we weren't in fact even in labor yet since petocin had not been started, that a c section would be the safest option for both of us. I was instructed that in order to be worked into the c section schedule, we would be going in around 8:30-9AM. At 7:14 AM my doctor came back into the room and said we would be going at 7:20 AM. Say what?! I quickly started signing papers and Colin began frantically making phone calls.. I walked myself to the OR while Colin got in his surgery scrubs. There were people swarming all around me in the OR. Nurses hooking me up to things all over, the anesthesiologist explaining to me what she was doing all the while I could do nothing but rub my belly one last time. Things had changed so quickly and I was about to meet my baby boy. I was given a spinal, laid on my back with my arms to the side and Colin was brought in. I held his hand probably tighter that needed as tears streamed down my face. Ready or not, here we go.


[a continuation of the craziness that ensued after Owen was born will be in the following post]


No comments:

Post a Comment